What does a life coach do?
Life Coach/Client Relationship
The (results coach) life coach/client relationship is a partnership in creativity where we work together to:
- Create a clear vision for what the client wants
- Leverage the coaches experience to sharpen the goal
- Enable self-discovery in the client and expand awareness
- Uncover and remove any patterns and beliefs that are limiting the clients success today
- Personalize strategies and action plans based on the clients unique goals and personality, then foster and nurture their success
- Foster accountability and help the client develop skills to make lasting change possible
The process all works together for the client to amplify results.
Some Common Life Coaching Misconceptions
There are many misconceptions out there about what life coaching is. Here are some of the more common ones I am aware of.
“Anyone can be a life coach”
This is not the case. Great life coaches have the right blend of training, expertise and skill to ensure that they can properly keep a client growing while uncovering and resolving the core issues that need attention. Great live coaches have invested many many hours in training and practice continuing education to keep enhancing abilities.
“Coaching is like therapy”
Therapy focuses on your past and seeks some diagnosis of a problem. It is very analytical and not very action-oriented.
Life coaching is rooted in the present and focused on your future. Coaching meets you wherever you are today by accepting your current reality as the starting point and looks to improve your outcomes moving forward. Life coaches are not health professionals, we do not diagnose.
“Coaching is only for people with problems”
An athlete competing at a professional or world class level needs the experience, support, objective perspective and insights of a coach. To use this analogy, life coaching is for anyone who want to achieve greater things and benefits in the same way. Many clients are healthy, successful people who might be a bit stuck, or are committed to making a big change in their lives and want the support that a personal coach can offer.
“Coaches just let you vent and only offer advice”
While we do have very good listening skills, a high-quality coach will offer far more than advice. We will draw on our experience and our training to craft each “vent” as an opportunity to shift perspective, help you gain deeper understanding, and craft a solution we can implement going forward.
Why would you work with a life coach?
People often hire a life coach because they want much more out of life tomorrow then they are getting today. They want to see real growth and change that has long lasting impacts on their overall quality of life.
How do you meet with clients?
- We can arrange face to face live coaching sessions
- We sometimes coach outside in a park or on a walk
- We coach frequently and very effectively over the phone and video calls
- We use email to check in with clients and to answer any questions between sessions
- We arrange accountability calls as needed based on what we are working on
How does life coaching work?
While life coaching is highly personalized for each client there usually follows a basic starting structure and format. This starts with a introductory session to understand where you, the client, are today. In my practice we call these clarity sessions. The clarity session is very beneficial in that it helps the coach and client get on the same page as a starting point.
Next you will work with your coach to define your vision for your life, we identify any key blockers or limiting beliefs, and set some initial goals. Your coach will ensure that your goals are sufficiently challenging. can be achieved, as well as to help you calibrate them to achieve specific outcomes. Assessing you current position helps us to measure progress and identify any current or possible things can become barriers.
In the next part, together we will evaluate your available resources and possible courses of action available to create an action plan. You will decide which steps you want to take first and will start to work on them. As this happens you and your coach will be prepare to deal with potential blockers, and together we will address and tackle them.
While you have the responsibility to make sure each step supports you goal, you coach will help you stay motivated and introduce new ways to stay empowered and committed along your path. We may uncover unexpected limiting beliefs along the way, when that happens we will arrange special times to address them so you can keep moving forward.
Periodically we will evaluate progress together and if your plan needs modification at any point you coach is there to help you with that.
Coaching is one of the fastest growing professions in the world today for one reason, it just works for people. People are achieving significant life changes and hitting goals they never believed they could by working with a life coach.
What general areas can coaching help you transform ?:
- Improve Self Confidence, Self Esteem
- Removing your limiting beliefs and blockers
- Reaching your dreams and goals
- Career Change
- Change in life direction
- New start
- Living with greater purpose
- Achieving fitness and health goals
- Accountability partner
- Increasing loving relationships
- Managing stress and anxiety
- Expanding your creativity and artistic expression
- Increasing motivation and getting un-stuck
Do you have specific areas you specialize in?
- Coaching families with ADHD and special needs kids
- Work Life balance and living a fulfilling life
- Authentic Leadership in the workplace
- Authentic Manhood and family connections